Paraffin candles – how bad are they?
Most candles you buy are made from paraffin. As the name implies, paraffin candles are made from paraffin wax, a by-product of petroleum refining. What does that mean? It means you are burning oil and inhaling the fumes! Those fumes are highly toxic, bad for the environment and literally poisons the air you breathe. Paraffin candles also release tiny particles that are easily inhaled and get trapped in the deepest part of the lungs, which may cause respiratory irritation.
Shockingly, paraffin wax starts from the sludge left over from oil and even asphalt is extracted before paraffin in the refining process! In the refining process the sludge is bleached and treated by chemicals that are known carcinogens like benzene. In the end, most candles bought at the store and candle shops release at least seven documented toxins many of which are carcinogenic when they burn. Wondering what those toxins are, well here they are: Acetone, Trichlorofluoromethane, Carbon Tetrachloride, Tetrachloroethene, Carbon Disulfide, 2-Butanone, Trichloroethane, Chlorobenzene, Ethylbenzene, Trichloroethene, Styrene, Xylene, Phenol, Cresol, Cyclopentene, oh wait, that was far more than seven. And that’s not all, many candles contain fragrance oils and other scents that are sometimes not safe and have their own negative health effects. Fragance oils can be safe but they must be choosen and used by someone that cares about your health and not just making the cheapest product they can to maximize their profits.
While paraffin candles have several negatives, Beeswax candles clean the air and fight allergies!
Beeswax candles clean the air while they burn. They release negative ions when they burn which attracts pollen, dust, pollutants, and any other impurities in the air because they are positive positively charged, and as you know, opposites attract! Ozone, air purifiers and water filters use this same effect to purify air and water but Beeswax candles do it without using electricity or by creating ozone.
Since Beeswax candles remove pollutants from the air in the house they can effectively reduce asthma, allergies, and hay fever. Soy candles are also very good for most people but there are some people that are allergic to soy. Therefore, Beeswax candles are often a great way to go and safe for just about everyone!
Beeswax Candles have also been known to reduce the effects of Asthma and Allergies.
Using the same negative ion effect, many allergens such as cats, dogs, household dust, pollen, rag weed and more are knocked out of the air and are prevented from being inhaled through your sinus and settling into your lungs.
Beeswax candles are certainly very good for you, they are safe and even have beneficial effects. One thing that you must be careful about is that just because a candle says “pure” Beeswax, it does not mean it is 100% Beeswax. In fact, labeling on a product that say “pure” simply means that as little as 51% of the product is made from that ingredient. So be sure to buy 100% Beeswax candles.